Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Once more into the brink

It's funny how there are things you don't miss until you don't have them anymore- or are told you can't have them. Watch any siblings under the age of 6 and as soon as one has something... the other one wants it- really bad.
Alcohol and Pork are kind of like that- I don't really need them but once they become hard to get- I sure... appreciate them more. I have yet to throw a tantrum if I don't have them but I've only been here 2 years!
The process for getting the two are actually quite simple- its not like I live in Saudi and have to brew it up in my bathtub.
First step: you get your permit card.

they have a special camera that is designed to make you look like a criminal who should be sitting on the group W bench.

Second step: Drive out to the edge of town and find a non descript building mysteriously labeled QDC on town maps. Its the only one in town... actually its the only one in the whole country!



Step 3: Like a kid in a candy store! bright colors, shiny labels, forbidden fruit. 


It's not like I even go there that much- it's just one of those funny little differences. I guess I have been reflecting on this as I just took my last trip to the liquor souk- turned in my card- got my deposit back. Now if I run out I will have to fire up the bathtub still- just like great grandpappy Oakley.
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment