Saturday, October 29, 2011

Culture- or what are you putting out there?

As this little planet closes in on 7billion people I just can't help thinking about how truly fascinating humans are- we are pretty weird if you stop and think it over. My friend Tracy Teetaert had a great lesson on the 8th grade hut trips she organized where she had the kids define the culture of the backcountry- It always stuck in my mind and I found that I have tried applying it to different things: mainly people and countries. I see culture to a certain extent as what you put out there for others to take in-people put out kindness, rudeness, humor, etc. Nations do the same and the best part of moving to Doha has been to meet great people from all over.
I have had a notion as well that the culture of the middle east and of america are oil and mcdonalds. It blows me away that the biggest line in the food mart is for the golden arches and the biggest line for america is at the oil pump (cheap asian textiles are pretty close). Is this the best of the 2 countries? Nah- as I was reminded this week- the best part of countries are the people- We had student conferences this week and Qatari parents just want whats best for their kids just like anywhere else on the planet. The other thing that reminded me was watching kids- the kids in our neighborhood just want to play- they don't care where anyone is from, only if you can run around the block.
I like these little reminders- I need these little reminders when the golden arches start to get me down- America isn't just fast food and Qatar isn't just oil $$.

want some fries with that cholesterol? you're welcome. 

luca and the culture of pants on head- we should all try this one

Beiber culture is everywhere

cool hat culture

kids rule culture

the culture of lounging on the front patio

the culture of amusing yourself in foreign lands

the culture of using camels for transportation... or at least transporting camels

No comments:

Post a Comment