Tuesday, December 18, 2012

good friends and chance encounters

Good friends. You think about all the people here in Qatar who are not from Qatar- and what chance event set them on a course to meet here- there has got to be a deep philosophical meaning to it all that I am not savvy to- in any case I am glad it happened- I have to say the best part of being here is getting to know other expats from around the world. 
We just had a little christmas gathering in the rec room of our little compound- and as I looked around at the kids dancing and singing and being silly it made me think that this is what christmas is about for me- Being with good people. I'll keep this in mind as I sit here missing my family to the west.
shake that money maker
Al Nassaryia kids are pretty darn cool
Par par bogey par- My good friend Neil.

The feared foursome of golf: Innes, Chris, Gareth, and Andre...plus Hugh

Coach Hannah and her synchronised swim team
Ollie and Luca discussing the finer points of life.
Wilder and Mia at the beach
Wilder and Lucy enjoying a horse race and ice cream.
Wilder and Nikita- windy day at Al Khor.
Hellie, Sarah, and Lisa watching the kids with swords.

The kids with swords.
Chris and Innes, badminton coaches extraordinaire.

We are going to really miss Neil and Hannah- we have never been so cultured as when we hang together.

Chance Encounters. So there we were, Luca and I out in the desert spray painting rocks-(someone had to mark new bike trails) when we see these guys swinging a pigeon on a string- not nice for the pigeon but a tasty treat for the falcon. The motioned us over and let us hold the bird and watch- it was pretty cool- they spoke no english but were very kind with Luca- just another example for us to go into things with an open mind- you never know what might happen.



Is it just me or does it look like Luca has a tail? (little monkey boy)
The best falcons are from Iran






















2 comments:

  1. Hi Innes and Lisa!
    You may not remember me; my maiden name is Amy Mayhew. My mom had told me a little about your adventures, and so I tried to look you up. My husband and I are dabbling in the idea of teaching abroad (he is a science teacher and I have a Masters in elem. ed.) and are wondering if we could pick your brains. Your blog is awesome. Your pictures are amazing and your family looks so happy! Glad it is going so well! Is there a way to connect?
    Thanks,
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey there, would love to talk- my email is innesisom@gmail.com or find me on facebook

      Delete