Sunday, September 28, 2014

Does anyone realize how hard this is for me?

I had the great fortune to get to help out with Wilder's softball team this fall. Lisa and I took turns every other morning practice to go and help Coach Kartechner. The group of girls were fantastic and so fun to work with. Coach K had the perfect attitude/expectation of wanting the girls to have fun and improve their skills. Going into the tournament he mentioned that the other VZ teams seem to take it a bit more serious, practicing everyday etc. Also, ECA had not won a game in 5 years.
All second basemen should wear socks this cool.

So going into the tournament I had the expectation/hope for the girls that they would play hard, get a few runs, and hopefully not lose real bad.

Thursday the games started and I took my class up to watch a bit before lunch. What timing! I got to see Wilder crush a triple and a few other girls get big hits and show solid fielding. They ended up winning that game and losing their other game of the day by 1 run!

On Friday the girls won another and lost another by just 1 run. Which brings us to Saturday and the final day of the tournament. The girls were playing the 3rd place team and if they won they would play in the finals. 

I have so far been spared the acute pressure of being a sporting parent, my only experience coming from Vail Rec District soccer Saturdays which were definitely in the for fun category. As the game progressed I found myself on the edge of my seat, my heart rate was at near exercise levels and each ground ball the other team hit had me holding my breath until they got the ball safely to first for the out. The girls were playing great but I found myself thinking "does anyone realize how hard this is for me?"

They won the first game and played wonderfully in the final going into the last inning tied 11-11 
only to give up a run in the bottom of the 7th to lose 12-11. I was so proud, I was so impressed, I was so tired. I went home and took a nap- this sporting life is hard.

Well done Wilder- we are so proud of you.




Lisa as third base coach, Wilder on deck.



Coach K dropping the knowledge

Wilder trying to figure out what he was saying (he speaks Canadian)



Wilder was one of the all-tournament team selections!


and this was me after the games- whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment