Friday, November 16, 2012

Africa part4- the Masai

We had a pretty cool opportunity on our trip to visit a Masai village- and yeah I know there was a bit of a "lets fleece the tourists" going on- but in the end who cares? We got to see a culture straight out of National Geographic. Beautiful kind people as well- we were met by the son of the chief who took us on a walk to the village- we did this instead of driving and it was great- he told us about the plants they used- and we didn't worry about getting eaten by lions because he had a wooden club and a small sword- I'm sure we were completly safe.
The Masai wear bright colors because they can spot each other from far distances- and it scares the lions away- seriously!?! these guys must be badasses.
They have a plant to use for teeth brushing, for sand paper, for cooling your forehead on a hot day, and one to help joint pain. When I asked where they get the red die shipped in for the fabric from- he grabbed a few leaves, crushed them in his hand and said "just mix this with some goat fat" I felt like Bear Gryllis.
Wilder with sword- Luca with club

When you see a bunch of ants the Masai think it is good luck to spit on them- so now you know.
One of these kids is not like the other ones.
This is where they keep the livestock at night- Luca walked in (and it had been raining) and said "This is gross" -ahhh just be thankful you have shoes my little man. 
This guy was not as happy that the rains had begun.

These guys showed us a traditional Masai dance- Usually if you marry you need to pay the girls father a dowry of about 10 cows, If you can jump really high you may get away with paying fewer cows. This guy would owe about 8.

This guy might only have to pay 6 cows

Luca and Innes gave it a try: Luca would owe 7 cows, Innes would owe 14.
She is smiling- but I know what would happen if I kept jumping for a wife.

Making fire!


Inside a house- it was interesting seeing a world so vastly different from our own and wondering what the kids would take from it. I notice children running around without shoes- Luca sees children running- I see a girl Wilders age with a  little sibling on her back- I wonder if Wilder sees another kid- or a kid who has the responsibilty of childcare already. I will be curious as to what these 2 Isom kids recall from all this travelling we do.


The ladies

Now how come when I leave the house dressed like this Lisa always makes me come back?













No comments:

Post a Comment