Friday, May 17, 2013

The first rule of Spacecamp is...

I knew at a young age I would never qualify to join the Space Program- I get dizzy not just on the merry go round but on the teeter totter and swingset as well- so astronaut bootcamp would never be survived by my weak stomach. Knowing this I jumped at the chance to chaperone a group of our school's 6th graders to Space Camp in Izmir Turkey. Wilder got to go as well and it was fun seeing her travel as a student and classmate rather than just my kid.
Upon arriving we found that the camp doesn't really want you around as a chaperone- so we had to find ways to entertain ourselves- One was to go out on little runs around the compound. The camp is a part of a large industrial park.
Not sure if this is public art or just someone calling it like they see it.
Eerie how much this was like some big digger religious ceremony. If diggers take over the world I know that it all began in Turkey.
One day I was able to head out and see Ephesus a 2000ish year old ruin.

"Excuse me, are these genuine fake watches real?"

Innes, column, ampitheatre

Word on the street is that this is the world's first roundabout. True to my newfound Qatari driving skills I spent some time here cutting people off and honking.





I'm getting artsy.

Good to know that they decent musical taste back in the day
 It wasn't all fun and games- we did have to do some space type activities: rocket building, space simulator testing, and shuttle parking.
They told me not to glue the top on- "what could go wrong?" I thought
"Oh, I see"


Back off dad- I'm trying to drive a shuttle here

Does this helmet make my head look big?

Chris Wade on the zero-gravity wall

We are smiling now- because going up was the easy part- coming down- much harder.

The reason he has a tether on me for the moon walk simulator is because I have such big hops they were worried I wouldn't come back down. Honestly

Then there were the spinny rides- thankfully I did not vomit or wet myself... or let loose a girly shreik... or cry. In fact I performed quite admirably.

I can't believe they gave us the keys to this thing! Chris, Neelam, Emily, and I, a great group of teachers.

*note* although the special effects are spectaculer we were not actually on the moon.
A highlight of the week was our trip to a nearby school. The students had raised money to help the school out- we went into different classrooms and taught the kids games/ songs as a way to get to know them. Then there was the "friendly" soccer match- I swear their team had a few 17 year olds. They put on a cultural show for us and away we went. I would love to know what each of our students took from this experience- we donated 2 laptop computers- they were ecstatic- we come from a school were each kid gets a laptop. 
I'm big in Torbali. This started out as a picture with 2 kids, then a few more squeezed in.

This guy was my friend! He would just chat me up and I would talk right back- neither had any clue what the other was saying.



Our other big excursion was a tour of Izmir- always fun to take 23 kids into a crowded bazaar and say "now don't get lost", luckily we made it back with most of them.
many many shiny things to catch their eye.
We also stopped by a quaint little place called "bead village". I have a feeling the quaint front they were putting up covered a major bead syndicate that sells to bazaars and souqs throughout the middle east. In any case it was a cool spot- I just kept thinking how much my sister Caryn would love it.
6th grade, when she is still okay being seen in public with me.
and before we knew it the week was done and it was time for graduation. I tried to play it cool when they called my name and I got my space pin- but whoo boy I was one excited astronaut!

not technically a license to drive the shuttle but close enough

A word on Turkish Baths:
At some point during the week it was pointed out that there was a good hammam down the street- never having actually experienced a turkish bath and knowing this might be my last chance- off I went. Chris and I figured either there was strength in numbers or misery loves company so we went together. I don't want to spoil it for you if you have never been but let's just say: sauna, cold plunge, turkish guy singing, more sauna, cold plunge, hot marble slab, back crack, vigorous loofa, tiny bubbles, hot water, cold water, even more sauna, cold plunge, sauna, towel headdress. WOW!
It was incredible- I can say no more- but here is how I looked upon completion:





stay tuned: Wilder will be adding her take on space camp soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment