Saturday, October 5, 2013

Guacharaca vs Guasacaca

This is a guacharaca bird. It looks like it came from the dinosaur age. It has a very loud raucous non melodious squak. It is very very different from...


...Guasacaca which is a delicious sauce made mainly from my most favorite of all plants- the avacado. You would think that only a real fool could mistake one of these for the other. Well my friends I am that fool! read on..

I am a remedial spanish speaker. What I lack in actual language skill I make up with enthusiasm. This often leads to interesting switches. Example:
At a restaurant I wanted to show that I had learned the name of my new favorite sauce. So I ordered an arepa (delicious little thing) with a side of guacharaca.
I got an interesting look and I think he was game for going back and telling the cook to go out back and catch one. Luckily a table mate saved me and i got guasacaca instead.

There are a few words that I am finding have the opportunity to get mangled and switched by yours truly- here are a few:

 Sopa is soup which I tend to order often. Sapo is toad... its only a matter of time till I order this.

Mano is hand and Mono is monkey- "Kids remember to watch your monos after you go to the bathroom." and I wonder why my students think I'm weird.

Lisa came upon this one while trying to say she did something embarrassing:
Embarrassed  as in "I am so embarrassed"
Embarazada as in "I am so pregnant"
so pretty much don't say your embarrassed about anything here.

cocina: the kitchen or the cook in the kitchen
cochina- a pig

Don't call the cocina a cochina.

I'm not sure on this last one- can't find an actual translation but I did see it written somewhere- anyway

feliz cumpleaƱos- happy birthday
feliz cumpleanus- Not sure- but don't wish me one.

I will keep looking for ways to mangle this fine language- till then I'll leave you with the image of me ordering sushi delivery last night.
"Dynamite por favor" "Dynamite"... "Dragon por favor?"

needless to say we did not get sushi delivered.

1 comment:

  1. It could be worse. When I was in college, my Spanish teacher said "Never mix up Pero (dog) with Pedo...." I still can't speak much.

    ReplyDelete