Sunday, September 29, 2013

Parque del Este

Armed with a google map, the instructions to "not go towards Propatria", and 12 bolivares in our pocket for the metro fare we decided to head out for the day to Parque del Este. I mean- what could possibly go wrong?


 Of course I also had Wilder along as navigator so nothing could really go too wrong. I know I can't get too naive living here- Caracas is a dangerous city- but as Luca said to me the other day walking to school: "I haven't met any mean people here, everyone is really nice."
I thought about this as we walked to the metro and rode it three stops to the parque. We were the only gringos on the train (and it really cost 30 cents for all 4 of us to ride) but instead of feeling uncomfortable or on edge I felt just a part of the picture- saying my "buenos tardes" to anyone who would listen. I was also fully aware that a change of a few hours could make all the difference and to ride this metro late at night would be foolish- but in the middle of the day- it was all "chevre".

The parque:
What a treat- this place is amazing- people everywhere, most just strolling around but a fair amount are involved in some type of activity. Could be a game of soccer or baseball, could be yoga, we saw salsa dancers, and we saw these chaps- some form of martial arts that involved huge kicks followed by falling flat on the ground- somehow they wouldn't hurt themselves- rather just pop up and continue- Wilder and Luca were amazed.
This will be me some day... the dancers not the martial artists

 I have never been a huge fan of cages but there were quite a few birds on display... and reptiles, and monkeys, and otters, and a beautiful jaguar. All fun to see so close up.


Was trying to catch how loud these birds are- but they must have got stage fright when I started filming





 And who doesn't love a good ship? Luca couldn't believe we were not able to go climb around on it. Nice view of the Avila in the background too don't you think?

In the metro on the way home- Lisa sees her new favorite snack- plantain chips- hey when you can't eat wheat you gotta get creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment