Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Cotopaxi- the mountain I never saw

Around about October when we were planning this trip I told Lisa that I would like to climb the Volcano Cotopaxi and asked her if she would be keen to join me. Being of above average intelligence she said no thanks. So I asked Mike Simpson who, having an intelligence more comparable to mine, said "sounds good- sign me up." We really had no idea what we were getting into, which is often the best way to have an adventure.


Now I am only under the assumption that this was an amazing mountain as I never actually saw it- not once! This volcano was in the clouds every time we drove or flew past and it was dark as I climbed and descended. Here is the account of all the times I didn't see it.

After getting our gear sorted in the town of Latacunga (elev. 9200 ft) we drove to the campground to spend the afternoon, drink fluids, eat, and go to bed at 7pm (elev. 13200).
campsite on the left, Cotopaxi on the right.
We took it as a good sign that a fox came to visit camp. Fox in spanish by the way is zorro.




We were hydrated, geared up, fed, and were even wearing the beer team socks- we were ready!
It was at about 7 that I realized sleep was going to be difficult to come by.

We woke at around 10 to eat and get all of our warm gear on, then we drove to the parking lot (elev. 14500) and started hiking- first stop the refugio (elev. 15800)
Here is the view from the parking lot

Here we are at the refugio. Used to be you would sleep here and start- but it was under construction- darn.

It was an amazing night, there is something very satisfying about the simple act of putting one foot in front of the other... and then repeating that many many times. Things started out great, we both got a bit tired from not being used to crampons- and boy was it steep! But all was chevere, more or less.
Then the altitude hit- quite interesting to have happen but we both all of a sudden became staggering drunks, walk 6 steps, rest a minute. It got brutal quite quickly and like the wise men we are we realized that to keep going up was not going to be fun. So at about 18,000 feet (4:40am) We turned around. The summit is at 19,347 feet but to be honest I couldn't see if it was close or still far away.

We made the right choice- going down was horrible and took forever. We were just getting to the edge of the ice when the sun finally started lightening the sky.

It may appear that I am gazing at the landscape contemplatively, but I am actually too spent to even turn towards the camera.

Looking as good as he is feeling.
At the parking lot Mike turned around to snap a picture (we made it just above the cliff band) but this doesn't count as a sighting for me because I didn't turn around- just collapsed into the truck
You can see the refugio
Thanks for giving it a try Mike, was a great memory. Next time we have an adventure let's try bocce or croquet.

(last 3 pictures were taken by M. Simpson)

No comments:

Post a Comment