Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Jugamos Rugby Hacemos Ron

It was with much excitement that I loaded a bus with 20 fellow teachers for the Santa Teresa Rum tour. Not for the rum tasting itself so much as the educational fulfillment that was sure to come my way.
Okay, You're right it was for the rum.


This guy seemed to send us off from Caracas, I have tried a number of times as we have driven by to get his picture and finally nailed it- it was an omen.


We arrived at Santa Teresa and had a few minutes to look around. Many chairs and many old train cars,  I liked it already.


But this trip wasn't about sitting around- we received our little rum glass and started the tour.


Of course there were some that skipped the mini rum glass and went straight for the triple fisting.


There is a cool connection with rugby, read this if you want to know how rum, rugby, and prisoners are connected.


The aforementioned rum cup


Imagine a trolley load of teachers being asked to listen to explanations of the distillation process- not the best listeners by any stretch.


That cool plantationey feel


With this diagram and a few hectares of sugar cane I figure I can "break a little bad" and make my own rum.


Yes I asked, and no, it's not for sale.


This building housed the barrels... the magical barrels. Did I mention that after each stop on the tour they filled our rum cups? Yeah forgot to mention that- really enhanced our poor listening skills.


The original set up from back in the 1796's


This was our trolley driver, I had a pair of elvis glasses that I was trying to get each teacher to wear for at least one picture. This gentleman might just have outshined us all.


After the tour it was time for, no joke, cocktails! Wadi Rum and Coke anyone?


We had a nice lunch (served with rum) and then it was time for the main event- the rum tasting. Now this could technically get dangerous as we had already had lunch drinks, tour drinks, and 2 cocktail services but darn it we are professionals, no way we would wimp out now.


My precioussss


I'm not sure how Molly and Mike scored the jerseys. It was either due to their rugby skills or that they looked like prisoners. Either way, well done on the Santa Teresa sponsorships!


Just to offer up the proof- I went home the proud owner of a rum tour diploma. I think as I start to apply for jobs back in Colorado including this on my resume is a top shelf idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment