Tuesday, November 3, 2020

It's * time to get social! (*almost)

We are still in lockdown in Yangon but it seems to be on the verge of opening up (that's me, ever the optimist). When it does I want to be ready, so I have been scouting out various social clubs. This way, when its time to get social- watch out people, here I come. I just hope I remember how.

Inya Lake Hotel
Pros: Amazing burgers. Designed by Nikita Krushchev. Nice pool, tennis courts.
Cons: Not really a membership- you get a hotel room and can use the facilities. The hotel room is the same one I spent my quarantine in and might give me nightmares. If I start playing tennis again that means Nicolas will start beating me at tennis again.





Myanmar rowing/ canoeing federation
Pros: It has a restaurant literally right below it! I have canoed before- they would likely let me in.
Cons: Might be hard work- is that really what I'm looking for in a social club?




MMO liquor store
Pro: They are always super nice when I stop by. They sure have a lot of booze!
Con: I don't think this is actually a club





Yangon Sailing Club
Pro: I can't think of this place without humming Christopher Cross' song "sailing"
Con: I have only just learned "left" and "right" in burmese and have no chance of learning "port" and "starboard"




Myanmar Yachting Federation
Pro: Would look pretty darn good on my business card
Con: I do not currently own a yacht. I think it might be the same place as the sailing club as the signs are right next to each other.




Yangon Universities Boat Club
Pro: Looks way more likely to be a proper drinking club not too worried about actually getting in a boat.
Con: Pretty dodgy approach. Not sure I want to go thru that shrubbery.



The American Club
Pro: Well yes, I am an American. They have a commissary with American goodies in it. You can play baseball there.
Cons: I've heard the french fries aren't from Idaho and the burgers are not grade A.


So many tough choices. I think in the end, wherever I get to hang my hat will be just fine- as long as it is with actual people! Can you imagine?

No comments:

Post a Comment