Monday, September 23, 2013

RUM! (beer tasting part 2)

In life when one has the opportunity arise to learn more about different cultures and world history then one must really make sure to seize that opportunity and learn something. 
It was with this in mind (the bettering thru education of myself) that I agreed to join Lisa at the Rum Education night- put on by the very knowledgeable Captain Aland. Think of the homework this man has had to do to know so much about rum!



It seemed simple enough: we would hear about the history of sugar, sample some bottom shelf varieties, learn the history of rum, sample some middle shelf varieties, hear something about pirates and the British navy, sample some top shelf... you know I kind of lost the thread there- where were we?

The set list.
 So what did I learn: well this won't make me sound like much of a connoisseur but I learned Rum tastes pretty good mixed with coke. The rest of my nights education fit more into the Fact vs. Not really so much a fact Categories (and yes I did take notes)

Here you go: (try to read this in Dwight Schrute's voice)
Fact: Muslims invented sugar
Fact: Christians made it popular. Advertising! you know, the crusades and all.
Fact: Sugar is sweet- and you need lots of it to make Rum.
Not really so much a fact: If you like sugar you are a bad person. Well considering the stories of one armed sugar workers and it's influence on the slave trade... I guess you are a bad person- sorry.
Fact: Columbus was just looking for a patch of land to grow some cane.
Fact: The Caribbean is a great patch of land for growing cane.
Fact: One of the byproducts of sugar is Molasses. Some choose to use this to make cookies, some to make Rum- you guess who makes more money.
Fact: Rum makes more money than molasses cookies.
Fact: Rum used to be used as currency (cookies were never used as currency)
Fact: The word comes from pirates who were always being "rumbunctious" when they went into town. (okay so that was not really a fact... but funny- thanks mike s)
Fact: bottom shelf rum is not for sipping- yeeow!
Fact: The American Revolution was caused by rum. (okay I might not have heard that one exactly right)
Fact: If you put a little good rum on your hands and rub them together they will catch on fire.

Okay at this point I realised my notes were becoming less than accurate- Lisa corrected me that what was actually said was your hands will smell of butterscotch or something.




But it was nevertheless a wonderful evening of rum tasting, continuing to get to know the eclectic fun staff here in Caracas.

Thanks Captain


this was my tables clear favorite- both for taste and cool label.
Before the night begins- when there is order on the ship!
and after- another group of teachers have been taught by captain Aland

1 comment:

  1. I can attest to the fact that the notes Innes took got more and more creative as his intake of rum and Cokes increased. I also wholeheartedly agree with his take on sipping from the "bottom shelf"...although I do think the cookie currency has merit.

    ReplyDelete