Sunday, December 7, 2014

Capoeira batizao

Capoeira, how to explain it to those who haven't heard of it? As my friend Jess Barga said: "Well it kind of combines everything I'm shitty at." So true- which brings up the question of why do I enjoy something that combines flexibility, grace, power, samba... and is taught in portuguese? I'll try to answer.

I first went to Capoeira practice when Michael Stein-Ross (marine) told us about it and Wilder was interested. I figured this might be a way for Wilder to try something new, be active, and meet new people. I went to the first practice fully intending to drop her off and then go spin or lift or something really exciting. Just watching a capoeira practice isn't an option though and like it or not I was out there learning to skiva and ginga.
Thinking about what I really like about capoeira (because I kept going) made me realize that it wasn't the actual act of capoeira, although there is a satisfaction in pushing yourself to learn something that you are truly shitty at. What has kept me coming back are the people and their energy. The group is run by Mestre Chocolate and he teaches us not just the moves but the history, the songs, and the reasons for what we do. He lives capoeira and his passion for it is contagious. Also helping out are Lotocao, Pessego, Pui-Pui, Rapaz, Scorpion, Break, Pimienta, Garibaldi, Borboleta, Atta, Ted boy, and Berembau. Each practice became a time to laugh, work hard, and feel good- what more could you want? Nicknames? got em. Mine was Bronco because I'm from Colorado and... "you're big". Wilder got Arara which is portuguese for a macaw. Luca became little Bronco: Broncino. 

So a year passed and this November was our batizao- baptism. We had new members join from the school: Samba, Tornado, Dorado, Sol, Canarina, Natureza, Tigressa, Vagalume, Guepardo. This was a ceremony to exchange our white chords for yellow. It was a great day- I had been a bit nervous not being clear  to the format- my biggest fear being that I would have to do some big individual show (I didn't). Here are some photos:

 Arara and Bronco warming up
 The berimbaus

 Cords
 Scorpion
 Rapaz
 Pessego
 We all started as a big group showing off the kicks and dodges we learned.
 Then we lined up and were introduced one by one. A veteran danced the Roda with us and ended by playfully taking us out. I have to say they were all very kind as they easily could have dropped me like a sack of taters.
 Bronco is up next


 Broncino gets his cord
 Broncino y Santi
 Judging by expressions Arara has just told Tigressa that she will need to go and meia-lua de compasso with a diagonal entrando.
 Eso!
 Marine y Bronco
 So there was also a part of the batizao that involved samba and if you look hard enough you can see that I am dancing the samba. Granted a bit stiff and frankenlike but still...
 Pessego, Rapaz, Scorpion, Bronco, Arara
 Bronco showing Lotocao whats up!
 Pui-Pui, Broncino, Chocolate, y Arara

And after it was all said and done we jumped in the car to cruise up to pozo suarape for an amazing little meal in the hills... and wouldn't you know it- I spotted a sloth on the way back down.






No comments:

Post a Comment