Monday, April 27, 2015

While Lisa was in Aruba, we thought we might save some parrots

Lisa was able to spend some time with her sister a few weekends ago in Aruba. And although I was quite happy for Carrie and Lisa to relax on the white sandy beaches without a care in the world... there was still much to be done! There was to be no sitting still back in Caracas I can tell you.

First off, a mere hour after Lisa left I had Luca stop by the classroom. I thought for sure he was sick because he looked really nervous and quiet. My mind racing to thoughts of how am I going to swing this as a single parent, he says "dad, I just ripped my shorts." Now this is even more dire as Luca has been underpants free since September claiming they "ride up and give me wedgies."
I don't think I gave him the parenting response he was expecting when the first thing I said was "that's fantastic." But I did rally my senses and sent him down to the lost and found to grab a sweatshirt and make a wrap around. It must have worked as I didn't hear from him again.




That weekend was a traditional ECA event: the run for the parrots. Which returned after a threatened lawsuit from Millie Simpson was dropped from last years event. (details here) Luca was excited to be running with his mates Blythe and Hunwoo. They did a great job and worked really hard... which is more than some sisters did on a beach just off the coast (but I'm not naming names).


Each lap you get a rubber band (makes it easier to count for people like me with faulty memories (and I heard that Steve Leigh- it is actually hard to remember 7 laps)

Some of the wonderful volunteers (like Luca's teacher Ms. Annie) give you your band with a smile.


Others make you earn it- thanks Dan- it still stings.

The kids had fun and money was raised to save yellow shouldered parrot habitat on margarita island.




Had one heck of a rainstorm that afternoon too! Luca and Blythe went to play cricket/baseball in the yard and were chased back up.

So we had hot cocoa and mustaches with Justin.


Okay so it wasn't all hard work as a single dad while Lisa was away... at the beach... in Aruba. Of course I would like her to believe that so she can stop reading at this point.

I was able to golfing with Greg and Mike on Sunday afternoon. The golf course in Caracas is beautiful and makes you forget you are in the city. Thanks Greg for taking us- I almost felt bad winning money from you. (Both Simpson and I won 2 bolivares from the director)
and yes I did... hit it right into the water.



No comments:

Post a Comment