Friday, December 18, 2020

some thoughts on expectoration

Warning: this may be unsettling content for some. 

Up until this point in my life I have been well served by the word spit. If I have something in my mouth that I need out, I spit. If I'm eating watermelon or cherries and have an unwanted seed, I spit. And if I (as my good friend Rob Rude and I used to say) "hawk a loogie", then to get rid of it, I would merely spit.

Here, it is different. Here, one does not merely spit. One needs a better word.

Expectorate  (verb)

1 : to discharge matter from the throat or lungs by coughing or hawking and spitting. 2 : spit.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/
I don't want you to be grossed out by the following, mostly I want you to be in awe. Like when you watch a master craftsman ply their trade, or an artist create. 

Here, men don't merely spit, they expectorate. And they do so mightily. I have yet to see any of the products of these expectorations as I'm usually on my bike and not that interested in the "loogie" itself. It's more the sound that amazes. 

I think wisely, this post has no photos. I do apologize for the lack of audio but I think you can use your imagination and be just fine. Here follows the 3 best expectorations I have heard:

1. AWAHHHCKGHAKTGHYA *spit*

2 HWAAAAAAAUGHAHWAAAAAAAUGH *spit*

3 KGHEUAUGHAHIWHAUGHGHA *spit*

I'll keep practicing if you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment